This blog post was originally published on 7th January 2012, and is updated on 1st August, 2021
Table of Contents
- 1 12 Tips to Increase Organic Traffic to your site
- 1.1 Improve Page Loading Speed
- 1.2 Focus on Search Intent
- 1.3 Thorough Keyword Research and Competitor Analysis
- 1.4 Create Exceptional Content
- 1.5 Harness the Power of Visual Content
- 1.6 Earn and Build Links
- 1.7 Optimize for Featured Snippet
- 1.8 Repurposing Old Content
- 1.9 Internal Linking
- 1.10 EAT
- 1.11 Alt Text For Images
- 1.12 Write Cluster Posts
- 2 Conclusion
Traffic is something that every site owner needs in order to reach their goals. There are different channels for getting traffic to your sites such as:
- Direct Traffic.
- Referral Traffic.
- Organic Traffic.
Organic traffic is the best channel to get traffic from. To increase organic traffic on your site, you need to do proper SEO for each web page you create on your site. When we talk about SEO, it is done in two phases, On-Page, and Off-Page.
Just doing SEO may not be sufficient for boosting the organic traffic rather doing it correctly may do! So, in this blog post, we are going to discuss boosting the search traffic of a website.
Boosting search traffic directly means boosting the search rankings of your website for various good keywords.
12 Tips to Increase Organic Traffic to your site
There are tons of things you can do to your site to optimize well for search engines but nowadays, . Page Loading Speed is getting more important because a better loading speed can offer a better user experience which Google looks up to. So, you must focus on the loading speed of your website. Not just the home page but its internal pages as well. Few things you can do is:
- Host your website with a faster web host. Preferably, go for VPS, and for that, I would recommend going with Cloudways as it offers Managed VPS at a good price. The best thing is, you can choose the hosting server of your choice such as Digital Ocean, Vultr, Linode, Google Cloud, AWS, etc. I am using the Digital Ocean server managed by CloudWays, and it is working quite awesome. It has increased server response time as well which helps well in improving loading speed.
- Use a caching plugin such as WP-rocket. If you are using Ezoic Ads, you can make use of their Speed Feature, Ezoic Leap which is awesome to increase the loading speed to a great extent. These tools generally help you minifying CSS, optimize scripts, and various other things which all contribute to increased loading time.
- Compress images before uploading them to your site.
- Go for CDN.
- Reduce redirects within your site.
Not only the loading speed but now, Google considers Core Web Vitals as well. So, do everything to improve all of these metrics. You can check metrics at GTMetrix, and the Google Page speed tool
A blazing fast site is likely to rank better than slow-loading websites. So, this could be your first priority when you think of increasing your site’s organic traffic.
Search Intent says User’s purpose behind the search. So, when you write the content, keep yourself in the user’s position, and think. Then write.
Generally, Search Intent can be Transactional, Informational, or Navigational. You need to be very sure while writing the content. For example, if you are writing a tips post, then don’t start selling in that. Let’s understand this as, if you are writing Laptop tips and tricks, then don’t try to sell laptops in that post. Because if your site is ranking for Laptop tips, users will come to your site to see the tips, not to buy. So, make sure your article is more about the tips not about the selling. Then only the user will stick to your page otherwise, he will land on your site, and don’t find the tips, he will close your site quickly. This won’t be counted as a good user experience, and Google may reduce the ranking of that page eventually.
In short, you must read the users’ minds who are coming to your site. If your content ranks for the keywords that complement your content directly, your Search Intent goal will be met, and hence good user experience, and good ranking. Further, it leads to better traffic from search.
You can better understand the search intent with a video.
Keyword Research is the most important part of any SEO strategy because this is how you find the phrases that are being searched by people. That means you get to know the key phrases which are actually searched by people on Google or other search engines. After that, there is a need of knowing the competition because a high competitive keyword is difficult to rank, and a low competitive one is easier to rank.
How Do We Know the Competition of a Keyword?
The keyword for which big sites are ranking already is definitely a tough keyword because outranking any of high authority sites would be a very very tough job. There are various ways of finding the competition such as:
- Ahref KD: It gives you an idea of how hard a keyword is to rank. I generally go with KD lower than 10. But, if your site is too new, then go for even lower. The lower is better.
- Allintitle: Allintitle is a Google search operator which tells you a particular text phrase or keyword is used in how many titles are on the web. Generally, lower than 30, we consider a bit low competitive. But, if you are working on a new site, go for even lower, try to work on keywords which have allintitle less than 10. Example: allintitle:How Many Watts is My Computer Using
as you see in the example, it is 7 which means, only 7 webpages are on the web which use this exact keyword. So, it is quite a bit low competitive you can say.
- Manual Check: If you find that KD is low, allintitle is low, then it is good to go but you should check one more thing which is a manual search. Yes, go to Google and search for the keyword there, and then look for the sites which are ranking for that particular keyword. If those sites are not big enough or few are great but others are not so high level, then you can surely go ahead with that keyword. But, if all the sites ranking on the first page are very high authority, then it will not be a good idea to go with that keyword with a new site. If your site has some authority already, then you can still try.
Additionally, you can get from Google auto-suggest too.
After you get the desired low competitive keywords, it is time to create content that must be exceptionally good. Again, there is a need for competitive analysis so that you can do better than your competitors. Look for all the web pages/sites ranking on the first page with that particular keyword. And, analyze their word count, keyword placements, information, internal linking, and such. Also, find the things that are lacking in their content, and make sure to write the content which is better than them in different ways. This way, you are making sure that your content is better than your competitors’. Apart from these, make sure your content is pretty much focused on users’ search intent which I have already discussed earlier in this article.
This would really help in beating the competition but yes, there is nothing guaranteed but this is one of the best ways to beat your competition in search engines especially in Google.
Supporting your textual content with Visual content such as videos, images, graphs, charts, and Infographics helps a lot. You actually add more meat to your content, and that is what readers love, and thus, Google as well. Visual content increases the Time Spent and Dwell Time of your pages which ultimately helps in better ranking eventually.
Link earning can happen when you create exceptionally great content and then comes link building. For which you can do guest posting, blogger outreach, and many more stuff. I have written a detailed article on building high-quality safe backlinks already which you can read. Moreover, you can see the list of things here as well and read in detail please refer to that article:
- Create Content that Everyone Likes to Link
- Guest Posting
- Google Webstore
- Broken Link Building
- Blogger Outreach
- Participate in roundups
- Help Others and Earn Links
- .edu and .gov Link Building
- Profile Links
- HARO (Help a Reporter Out)
Other than link building, you should do these too to drive some Referral traffic to your site as well because it is always good to diversify your site’s traffic sources.
- When you post an article, make sure to respond to few queries on Quora related to your topic. Don’t put links in there all the time, but whenever you can, do that. This way, you can drive a good number of referral traffic from Quora.
- Tweet your articles to share with your Twitter followers.
- Post the link on your Facebook profile and Facebook Page.
- Write helpful comments on the blogs in your niche. Include your site link in the website box.
- Post the link on LinkedIn.
- Pin the post on Pinterest.
Basically, you can try all the social media to share your article as well but just sharing your link won’t give you much traffic until you engage well with your followers on various platforms. Social media generally works on Give and Take that means if you like, share, tweet other’s article, they might do the same for yours too. So, keep doing that way as well and engage with them too.
There are many types of featured snippets namely, Bulleted, Paragraphed, Numbered list, Video, and Table. You can see while searching on Google that you get different types of featured snippets for various sites.
You can also optimize your articles for the same using various techniques. The better your content is optimized for featured snippets, the more likely your post may get it, and thus, more traffic you can drive to your site. Ahrefs has an amazing blog post about the same, do read that, and you can try implementing those things to get the snippet.
When we write the content, it is based on present-day things but after few years, that things may be outdated or not in use. So, accordingly, we should repurpose our old content to make them fit for the current time. But, repurposing the content doesn’t mean only updating the information but you should do keyword research to find some rankable keywords for that particular topic, and include them in the article well. Also, you can format your article well by using proper H2, H3, H4 tags along with adding more graphics and videos. Overall, you can repurpose your old content for both search and users. This will ultimately result in more traffic. You can read my article on this topic.
We always talk about building backlinks from other sites but do you know we can build links for our new articles internally as well. Yes, you can do that. Whenever you post a new article, make sure to get 3-4 links from your older articles that are somehow on similar or related topics. Believe me, this works well. Although interlinking manually is the best way, there is WP Plugin Link Whisper that does the job pretty well.
EAT stands for Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness which simply means that Google considers your expertise to rank your articles. For example, if a doctor writes a health blog, and you(no expertise in health stuff) write a health blog. Google will consider Doctor’s blog more trustworthy because Doctors are who know more about health-related things. They are experts on that.
Now, you will ask how Google knows that who is the doctor and who is not?
So, the answer is, Google can see various stuff like LinkedIn Profile, Google listing, and many things that are available about a particular user. And, if it finds that a Doctor is there on Google who writes blogs, then it is likely to rank better than the blogs written by the individual without any health knowledge.
So, when you start a site, make sure to build your profile accordingly on all the social sites, and Google products. For example, I write mostly about Tech and SEO, so if you find my profile anywhere on the web, it will somehow be related to these areas only. But, if I start authoring health articles, Google may not give them EAT benefits. But, tech articles of mine may get some EAT benefit.
Images are also great ways to get traffic from Google and other search engines. Since you should use alt text for images to give information about the image so that Google will show those images when such queries are searched. Alt is for Alternate. At times, you have seen when images don’t load due to slow connection, some text is shown, that is the alt text which shows when images don’t load. I have written a detailed article about Alt Text, you can read that by clicking here.
This is quite simple to do. When you write a new topic, make sure to write few more topics related to it which will also help for better internal linking. It does help.
For example, if you are writing an article about, how to make Pizza at home? then you should find few more related topics and write them as well such as, how to make pizza at home without an oven, how to make pizza dough at home, Pizza Ingredients names with pictures, etc.
So many such topics you can think of or get from any keyword tool, and write about them. This will help Search Engine crawl the site better since there are so many related topics that are pretty well interlinked.
This does help to increase organic traffic as well as reducing the bounce rate.
Boosting organic traffic requires the best SEO strategies and to be honest, no strategies can be considered as the best one because for different sites different strategies work out well. One working well for me cannot be working for others as well. So, SEO things are like experimenting. Do experiment with the good SEO strategies, and the one which does well, go with that. Moreover, the strategies shared in this post are quite viable and should work out well for most of the publishing sites.
If you like this post, make sure to share your thoughts in the comment box, and if you have any queries, please do write them as well, I will try my best to respond to them ASAP.
Short URL: https://www.techtricksworld.com/?p=3237