We use our computer for a lot of things, accessing the internet is one of them. But if your computer won’t stay connected to Wi-Fi, then let me tell you, you are not the only one. Whether you are using Windows 10, Windows 7, or Mac, this is a problem faced by tons of users.
We live in an era where our lives are somewhere or the other dependent on the internet, and therefore, having a strong and stable internet connection is more than a need today. The reasons why there is not a solid or steady connection can be plenty, but if your computer or laptop keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi in Windows 7, 10, or mac, then here are a few quick fixes for you. But before getting started, let me also tell you a few causes why this issue might be occurring:
Table of Contents
- 1 My Laptop Won’t Stay Connected To Wi-Fi – Possible Causes
- 2 How to Fix your Laptop if it Keeps Disconnecting from Wi-Fi – Possible Methods
- 2.1 Possible Solutions for Windows 10:
- 2.1.1 Method 1: Restart Your Computer and Network Devices
- 2.1.2 Method 2: Set Your Home Network As Private Instead On Public
- 2.1.3 Method 3: Run Network Troubleshooter
- 2.1.4 Method 4: Disable Your Network Adapter Power Saving Setting
- 2.1.5 Method 5: Update Your Wireless Drivers
- 2.1.6 Method 6: Reinstall Wi-Fi Adapter Driver
- 2.2 Possible Solutions for Windows 7:
- 2.3 Possible Solutions for Mac:
- 2.4 How to Fix your Laptop if it Keeps Disconnecting from Wi-Fi in Mac:
- 2.4.1 Method 1: Check with your Internet Provider
- 2.4.2 Method 2: Check for any software issue
- 2.4.3 Method 3: Check Wi-Fi recommendations given by macOS
- 2.4.4 One thing to note here is that if you do not see any recommendations, then this would mean that Apple has found nothing to flag here. And thus, you need to hunt for other alternatives to fix this problem. Method 4: Reboot your Router and Mac
- 2.1 Possible Solutions for Windows 10:
- 3 Conclusion
My Laptop Won’t Stay Connected To Wi-Fi – Possible Causes
There is no denying that if your computer won’t stay connected to Wi-Fi, it could get much more than just annoying, as this would hamper your work and your overall life too. However, if this error is occurring, then it might be due to one of these reasons:
- Driver Issue: If you too have this question of why does my PC keep disconnecting from Wi-Fi, then one of your drivers could be the issue. These are crucial elements as they take care of the hardware and much more. However, keeping a check on the driver as an outdated or damaged driver would never function as per your requirement and would definitely cause tons of problems.
- Improper configuration of the wireless adapter: It is possible that your adapter is not configured properly, which might be causing some issues with the range detection.
- Wi-Fi Sense: Windows 10 has this new feature that eases out the connection to other Wi-Fi networks. However, often, this feature can only get in the way and not form a stable connection to the Wi-Fi. This feature can disconnect your computer from the current connection and establish a connection with some other network, which could be one reason why this error might be taking place.
- Power Management: Lately, Microsoft has come up with a lot of new features to reduce power usage, which in turn increases the battery life of the devices. However, this could be one of the reasons why this error might be taking place, as this might frequently disconnect your computer from the network. To manage Power usage well, you should know how many watts your computer is using overall.
- Router Damage: If the router is not functioning well, it would obviously not be able to establish a stable connection with the computer or laptop. Hence, make sure to check the router thoroughly before moving on to any methods.
How to Fix your Laptop if it Keeps Disconnecting from Wi-Fi – Possible Methods
Although frustrating and bothersome but fixable, if your laptop or computer won’t stay connected to Wi-Fi in Windows 10, 7, or mac, then here are a few methods of How to Fix your laptop if it Keeps Disconnecting from Wi-Fi.
Possible Solutions for Windows 10:
Windows 10 is the most popular OS being used today, and that too, for all the right reasons. There is no denying that it is super user-friendly and easy to use. However, if you have a complaint that your Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting in Windows 10, then here are some possible methods as to how you can rectify the problem –
This is one of the basic steps that you need to perform before moving on to the more complex methods. Follow these steps as these will help you restart your network settings and also fix your network issues.
- Shut down your laptop, and disconnect it from the charger or the power cable.
- Turn off and unplug the power cable from the router.
- Leave them as it is for more than a minute.
- Plug everything back in, and then turn on.
Now, try to connect your laptop or computer to the network. There are high chances that your problem might get rectified. If still your computer won’t stay connected to Wi-Fi in windows 10, then move on to the methods mentioned below.
If the above method does not seem to work out, and the Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting in Windows 10, then you can check whether your home network is private or public, as a public one could be the culprit of this issue.
This can be easily fixed by following these steps:
- Right-click on the Wi-Fi icon in the bottom right corner of your computer.
- Navigate and click on Open Network and Internet Settings.
- This will open a whole new tab. In this tab, look for Properties, and click that.
- Here, under Network profile, you would be able to see if your network is private or public. If it is Public, make sure to Click Private.
Now, just check if your internet is working, and if it is causing the same error, or it has been rectified.
If your computer won’t stay connected to Wi-Fi in Windows 10, then you can try and run the network troubleshooter that will automatically fix the error, if any, and run the internet normally.
To do so, you can follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I to open Settings.
- Here, click Network & Internet.
- Navigate to Network troubleshooter.
- A window would now open which will detect the problems with your network.
Once the diagnosis is complete, you now need to restart the computer and check if you are still facing the same error.
If you often have this complaint that my laptop won’t stay connected to Wi-Fi, you can try and disable the network adapter power saving settings, as this could be causing the problems.
To do so, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows Key + R together to open the Run.
- Here, type in ncpa.cpl and press Enter.
- This will open your Network Connection. You need to right-click on the Wi-Fi icon and click on Properties.
- Now, click on Configure.
- On this page, select the Power Management tab, and make sure that allowing the computer to turn off this device to save power option is NOT checked.
- Click OK to save changes.
Hence, if your computer disconnects Wi-Fi, it could be because this option that we just unchecked might be enabled, due to which, the whole problem might be occurring.
If none of the above-mentioned methods seems to work for you, and you still have the complaint that my laptop won’t stay connected to Wi-Fi, you could try and update your wireless drivers, as that is something that can cause a bunch of issues on your computer. Make sure to update them using the following steps:
- Press the Windows + X keys on your computer, and click on Device Manager from the menu.
- Expand the Network Adapters menu.
- Right-click on your Adapter, and click on Update Driver.
Doing so will update the driver so that the error can be rectified. However, always make sure to restart your computer to save the settings you just made. Therefore, if your Wi-Fi adapter keeps disconnecting, this can be a possible solution for you.
If your Wi-Fi adapter keeps disconnecting, then you can try and reinstall the Wi-Fi adapter driver using these easy steps:
- Press the Windows + X Keys on your computer, and click on Device Manager from the menu.
- Expand the network adapters, and right click on Network adapter driver and select uninstall device.
- Press OK to confirm the driver uninstallation.
Now, just restart your windows to completely uninstall the driver.
Possible Solutions for Windows 7:
Suppose your computer or laptop keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi in Windows 7. In that case, the methods mentioned above will work perfectly fine for you, as the configuration settings and network settings almost remain the same as Windows 10.
Therefore, if your laptop keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi in Windows 7, you can try and rectify the error using these methods. The step-wise explanation for each method is already given above.
- Restart Your Computer and Network Devices
- Run Network Troubleshooter
- Network troubleshooter.
- Disable your network adapter power saving setting
- Update Your Wireless Drivers
- Reinstall Wi-Fi Adapter Driver
Some features like the Wi-Fi sense is not available for Windows 7; therefore, this is something that would not really work for you if your computer or laptop keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi in windows 7.
Possible Solutions for Mac:
If you have an error where your computer won’t stay connected to Wi-Fi in mac, then you can try out a bunch of things that will sure-shot work for you if you are facing such issues with your laptop.
How to Fix your Laptop if it Keeps Disconnecting from Wi-Fi in Mac:
If the issue is from the internet company’s side, then there is not much that you can do about it. Therefore, checking whether the wires are in place and the issue is not from the provider’s side is a must. We often keep looking for solutions from our end, and the error is from the network provider’s side. So you might want to rule this out before you hop on to the solutions.
Updating your system or checking for software glitches will often rectify this problem if you complain that your laptop won’t stay connected to Wi-Fi. Apple users often update their computers or laptops, which is just enough to solve this problem where their computer won’t stay connected to Wi-Fi.
If the computer won’t stay connected to Wi-Fi in mac, then you can check for issues and recommendations in the Wi-Fi status menu, which can be reached by clicking on the Wi-Fi logo on the top right of the screen.
One thing to note here is that if you do not see any recommendations, then this would mean that Apple has found nothing to flag here. And thus, you need to hunt for other alternatives to fix this problem.
If your laptop cannot form a stable connection with the Wi-Fi and your Wi-Fi adapter keeps disconnecting, you can try to solve this issue by rebooting your router and mac. The probability that this would fix the problem is high.
In today’s time, we need the internet more than anything, for the simple reason that both our professional and personal life is there on it. Therefore, if you face errors and issues where your laptop or computer won’t stay connected to Wi-Fi, then this could become more than just a hassle. But don’t worry, you can try out the methods stated to fix this problem and establish a perfectly stable connection between your PC and the internet.
Short URL: https://ttw.tips/3l77D7A