Let me ask you a question- what is Google for you? I hear some of you saying “it’s a search engine”, “it gives me my answers”, and “I can virtually find anything over it.” Here’s my thing, we are on the same page! :-D. But, do you know all the secret Google facts? I bet. 😛 To be honest, there are many facts yet to be discovered by us.
I recently checked an Infograph about facts of Google, where I was amazed reading some fascinating facts of Google. So, without further delay, let me welcome you to the giant world of Google! 🙂
Interesting Facts About Google:
- Google has indexed as many as 50,000,000,000 Web pages since 2008.
- Google lets you set up the home page in 88 different languages that include as diversified languages as Urdu, Latin, and Klingon etc.
- The “Did you mean….” feature introduced by Google is responsible for taking its all over search traffic to an entirely new level. Google’s traffic instantly got doubled.
- Google’s home page was kept bare because the founders, Sergey Brin and Larry Page, couldn’t deal with HTML and therefore, they wanted an easy interface.
- Google now runs on the foundation of Python, C++, Java, and very recently Go. The development is mainly handled by the employees of Google.
- Each day Google processes and provides around 1,000,000,000,000,000 bytes of information that is simply an incredibly overwhelming data to put your minds in. The statistics also indicate that almost each person who uses Internet gets his or her hands on Google at least once.
- Google was named “Google” accidentally by the original founders. They wanted to name the search engine as “Googol,” but instead they committed a spelling mistake that gave them the name “Google.”
- The number of daily visitors using Google is 620 million.
- A person would require nearly 95,116 years to search a Web page into Google’s 50 million Web pages manually at the rate of one page per one minute.
- The not so popular “I feel lucky” button is seldom used by the users of Google. In fact, its usage is next to negligible. However, the Google experience declined when the feature was removed in trials. Users didn’t really want it to be removed. Since, it looks like one comfort button.
- Before getting launched all over for public, Gmail was used internally for two years. This was done to match up the needs of every type of user. It was observed that there are primarily six types of users who use email. So, Gmail was designed as per the requirements of all those six types of users.
- Google holds the greatest number of translators in the world.
- The first ever Google storage was made from LEGO. In the year 1998, Sergey Brin and Larry Page were PhD students at Stanford working on their Digital Library Project. They required great storage space for testing PageRank algorithm. At that time, the greatest hard drives were of 4 GB space, so they took 10 of them and assembled into a low-cost cabinet made of LEGO.
- The first ever tweet on Twitter from Google was “I’m 01100110 01100101 01100101 01101100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01101100 01110101 01100011 01101011 01111001 00001010,” which means I’m feeling lucky in terms of binary code.
- In February, 1999, the first ever snack that was ordered into the Google office was the chew candy known by “Swedish Fish.”
- The YouTube cofounder Steve Chen met the executives of both Google and Yahoo. The meeting took place over mozzarella sticks in Palo Alto. Google outbid Yahoo and grabbed the YouTube deal in its favor.
Well, these were some untold facts of Google from my end. How about you? What would you like to share some more interesting facts of Google?