When talking about how to charge laptop with HDMI, there are plenty of ways to do so. With the help of a TV to a Type-C cord, there are numerous ways to charge laptops without a charger. One just needs to know the right method to incorporate while using the HDMI cord as a charger for their precious device. In this article, I will tell you all the possible methods of how to charge laptop with HDMI.
Charging a laptop is no big deal. It can be charged easily with the charger provided by the company itself; however, if ever you lose it, don’t worry! There are plenty of other ways of charging your laptop too. The latest laptop comes with the most updated technologies that support charging in multiple ways. One of the ways in which the laptop can be charged in today’s scenario is through an HDMI cable. But, how?
In this article, I will tell you all about charging a laptop without a charger. This will be super beneficial for you, for the next time you are out of your laptop battery and do not have a charger readily available.
Table of Contents
Can An HDMI Cable Be Used For Charging?
Before you get to know how to charge laptop with HDMI, let me tell you if you can really use an HDMI cable for charging your laptop.
HDMI is the short form or High-definition multimedia interface. HDMI can be the updated form of traditional three-pin connections for audio, video, and synchrony. Today, HDMI is the most popular cable to connect various devices like laptops, televisions, projectors, and many other multimedia processing devices.
Most of us know the basic functions of the HDMI cable. However, very few people know that HDMI can be used for charging the laptop too. Charging a laptop with an HDMI cable is one of the common alternatives to adapter charging. However, the laptop should support this feature of charging to do so. As I said, most of the new laptops support charging with USB and HDMI cables. Therefore, if you wish to know how to charge a computer without a charger, then charging it with an HDMI cable would be a pretty good option.
Methods To Charge Laptop With HDMI
Often, we forget our laptop chargers and suddenly realize that we are running out of battery. At such times, knowing how to charge laptop without charger comes in super handy. One of the many methods is charging the laptop with the help of an HDMI cord.
So if you are looking for methods of how to charge laptop with HDMI, then here are few methods for you:
Method 1: From Television That Supports HDMI Cable
Television is one of the best and common sources that are easily available to get your laptop charged. For starters, you need to ensure that the Television has an HDMI port. There is no use if the televisions don’t support HDMI. Also, you also need to make sure that your laptop supports HDMI too. Almost all the laptops today come with HDMI support. However, not all laptops support the HDMI charging option.
To charge laptop without charger, with the help of HDMI, all you need to do is connect one end to the laptop and the other to the Television and switch on the Television. This way, you are done with the connection.
Method 2: Using Type-C Cord To Charge
All the latest laptops come with Type-C Ports. The advantage of type-c is that we get a lot of options to connect and charge the device. If you wish to know how to charge a computer without a charger using an HDMI cable and type-c port, then here are the steps you need to follow:
- Connect the HDMI cable to the Television.
- Connect HDMI to a type-C converter to the other end of the HDMI cable
- Now, you can use both type-C cords to connect the converter to the laptop’s Type-C cable. This way, you can directly charge the laptop with type-C.
This procedure works better than the previous one; however, you need to carry the converter in addition. This is the only way to charge a laptop that comes with Type-C and not an HDMI port.
Is HDMI Charging Safe For Your Laptop?
By now, you must have come to know how to charge a laptop with HDMI. However, using HDMI to charge is not a good option. This is because HDMI is made for sharing multimedia at the best level, not to charge devices. The voltage levels of the HDMI cable are generally low and thus take more time to charge. This may have ill effects on the device’s batteries.
However, what else would you do if you don’t have a laptop charger, and suddenly fall short on battery? Well, how to charge a computer without a charger has many more answers.
Other Ways To Charge Laptop Without Charger
Since now you know that HDMI is not a safe option to charge your device, then what are the other ways to charge a laptop?
If you do not want to use an HDMI cable, you can also go for a USB Cable. However, since you know that HDMI shouldn’t be used, you might also be inquisitive about USB being safe or not.
So, can you charge a laptop with USB? Well, YES! USB is a comparatively safer option to charge your laptop if you don’t have its charger with you.
For your knowledge, there are broadly three types of USB available in the market:
- Type A
- Type B
- Type C
Type A is the largest on the list and is most popular too. Type-A USB pins are available in all laptops except a thin notebook. A typical USB supports 5V and 500mA charge, thus making it a good option to charge a laptop without a charger.
You can easily charge your laptop with a USB cable. For this, it would help if you had a USB to a Type-C converter to do this. Connect the USB to the power source and then connect the USB to the type-C converter to the other end. Finally, connect the converter to the laptop with the Type-C cord.
However, this process requires you to have a converter.
- External Battery: If you are confused about how a battery can charge a laptop, you need to clarify that the battery here implies the traditional power bank. The latest notebooks (laptops) come very handy and get charged just like a mobile phone. These laptops can get charged easily through a power bank. The process is the same as that of charging a mobile phone. All you will need is a type-C cord and a power bank. Connect one end to the power bank and the other end to the type-c port of the laptop, and it starts getting charged.
- With Phone: The concept here is the same as that of the previous method. Here a phone is used as a power source to charge the laptop. It would help if you had a dual Type-C port. Connect the cable to your mobile phone and the other end to your notebook. This method is not favorable all the time as the phone needs to have a good percentage of charge to give the laptop some battery.
- In Car charging: Cars are provided with USB ports to charge your devices like mobile phones. You can use these ports to charge your laptop, too. For this, you need to ensure that your car should be ignited. Then, place the USB end of the cable to the USB pin and the charging end to the laptop. Once done, you are good to go to charge your laptop. However, If your car doesn’t have USB ports for charging, don’t worry! You can easily install a port at a lower price anywhere in the car.
Carrying an adapter along with a laptop is a must. You may never know when you will need it. When you don’t have an adapter to charge, don’t worry! You have various alternatives, especially if you know how to charge a computer without a charger.
How to charge a laptop with HDMI is not a tough or tedious task. It should be essential and imperative that you use a good quality HDMI cable. However, since it charges way too slowly, this method would not be a suggested one.