A lot of people are shifting their focus towards coding and programming. This highly complex skill of a program developer is done with the help of software, for which a fantastic laptop is needed, which can fulfill the needs of the user. The usage of a programmer for pentesting would be to test, analyze and fix the loopholes. Moreover, they would also need the laptop for ethical hacking, which is a crucial aspect of pentesting.
Pentesting (Penetration Testing) comprises breaking into various program systems to uncover defects, and therefore, a laptop that suffices your needs becomes a must. Consequently, you must invest in the best laptop for pentesting. In this article, I will tell you all about the best laptops for pentesting and the various features that a laptop that is perfect for pentesting should have.
Features Needed In The Best Laptop For Pentesting (Penetration Testing)
Ethical hackers must employ password-cracking software, virtual machines, and Kali Linux to uncover system faults. These procedures necessitate sophisticated devices capable of handling massive volumes of data, multitasking, operating a virtual computer, and efficiently processing data.
Following are some of the features that the best laptop for pen-testing must have:
Longer Battery Life
This is an essential feature of any laptop, especially for people into pentesting. The longer the battery life, the better the laptop. As a program developer, you would need to work for long hours on your laptop; therefore, choosing a laptop with a great battery life would be the best option.
If you’re searching for a laptop to use for pentesting, I recommend getting one with an Intel Core i5 processor. Choose the Core i7 CPU if you have a higher budget. If you need the best laptop for pentesting, avoid the Core i3 processor. If you run Kali on Core i3 CPUs, you may see specific performance difficulties.
Computer graphics card
To run pentesting, you don’t need separate graphics; an integrated graphics card will work. A laptop with a dedicated GPU is recommended if you want a laptop that will last a few years.
A 256GB SSD notebook, according to most experts, is sufficient for pentesting. If you’re on a tight budget, a hard disk will suffice. However, an SSD would be highly recommended if you are searching for the best laptop for pentesting.
A laptop with at least 8GB of RAM is recommended for pentesting. A 16GB PC is the greatest option because it can hold more data and information. If you’re going to go below 8GB, be sure you’re prepared to deal with memory issues.
Best Laptop For Pentesting (Penetration Testing) in 2023
Now that you are well-versed in the factors that you should consider before buying a laptop, make sure you analyze your work well, and then make a purchase so that you never regret it. Here is a list of the best laptop for pen-testing, which will help you work super efficiently.
Apple MacBook Pro
It is a well-known truth that Apple’s products are unrivaled in terms of performance.
- Apple MacBook Pro is perfect for professional developers who need laptops for pentesting because of its fast performance.
- It has a high-definition display and a sleek design.
- This machine’s processing power is also rather impressive, so you won’t have any problems when you try programming on it.
- It features a 3.3GHz dual-core i7 processor and 16 GB RAM to help you get things done faster.
- This laptop is an excellent choice for all of your pressing activities, and you can anticipate high-quality performance from it.
- It also comes with a 512 GB hard drive, so you won’t have to worry about keeping your crucial files and movies.
- Powerful processor
- 16 GB RAM
- Powerhouse machine
- i7 processor
- 512 GB hard drive
Microsoft Surface Pro 7
The Microsoft Surface Pro 7 is a high-end laptop that is both powerful and portable. This laptop performs well and is ideal for multitasking. It boasts a long battery life and improved Wi-Fi connectivity.
- The laptop has a quad-core 10th Generation CPU making it the greatest gadget you can purchase for the money.
- This laptop is jam-packed with features that you won’t find in other laptops.
- A high-resolution 12.3′′ PixelSense adapts its brightness to the ambient light.
- It also just weighs 1.7 pounds, so handling and transporting it won’t be a problem.
- The change from a desktop to a tablet is very astonishing. It can be folded, and it turns into a tablet.
The quad-core 10th Generation CPU may handle any workload. This laptop will better suit your demands due to its speedy processor. This device excels at multitasking, video chats, projects, and high-speed presentations, in addition to pen-testing.
- Long-lasting battery
- It can be used as both a laptop and a tablet.
- Face recognition is a useful feature.
- High-resolution display
- Light weight
- Low luminosity
Dell XPS 15
Dell laptops are the most widely used computers all over the world. Dell laptops can be found in nearly every corporate workplace, and the Dell XPS 15 is the latest in a long line of excellent devices. This laptop is popular among developers working on mobile and online applications, and it’s also a good fit for expert penetration testers.
- It boasts an IPS touch-sensitive panel and a dazzling 4k display. You’ll be able to watch your videos in 2160p resolution this way.
- When it comes to its core features, you’ll get the latest Intel Core i7 7700HQ processor, as well as a powerful 16 GB RAM for fast processing.
- When it comes to pen-testing and other common computing chores, you’ll have a smooth experience with this laptop.
- It will also include a 1 TB hard drive, allowing you to conveniently store all of your critical files and data on this massive storage space.
- It is slightly heavier as it weighs roughly 4.4 pounds.
- This laptop also has a 7-hour battery life, so you won’t have to worry about carrying a charger around with you all the time.
- 16 GB RAM
- Attractive design
- Powerful processor
- Long Battery life
- 1TB Hard drive
Lenovo IdeaPad Y700
If you are looking for the best laptop for pentesting, then you can indeed consider a laptop from Lenovo. This laptop is explicitly designed for developers and penetration testers who enjoy working on large, colourful displays. As a result, it’s on our list of Kali Linux and Pen-testing Laptops.
- The Lenovo IdeaPad Y700 is an excellent pick for all professional pen-testers, and its 17-inch 1080p display is a huge benefit.
- The weight of the laptop becomes an issue because it weighs roughly 8 pounds.
- It includes an anti-glare display, and you may use it for long periods without experiencing lagging or screen tearing.
- It has a decent 6th generation Intel Core i7-6700HQ processor, 16 GB of RAM, and 1 TB hard drive.
This laptop is one of the best laptop for pentesting because it practically fulfills all of your fundamental needs.
- Reasonable price
- Processor and RAM both are powerful
- 1 TB HDD
- 128 GB SSD
- 17-inch display
- The heavyweight of this laptop is a problem
HP 14″ Touchscreen Home and Business Laptop
The HP 14 touch screen laptop is one of the most cost-effective and versatile laptops available. Here are some of the specifications of this laptop.
- This laptop is powered by a Ryzen 3 3200U dual-core processor, which can easily handle any type of multitasking.
- This laptop has a whopping 8 GB of RAM and a 128 GB SSD hard drive.
- It also has a webcam, Bluetooth, and a 4K HDMI output.
- The dual-core processor will have a clock speed of 2.60 GHz to 3.5 GHz.
- This laptop is a touchscreen laptop with finger navigation and an LED backlight.
- This device offers a storage capacity of 128GB, allowing you to handle all of your work with a secure backup.
- If you use this laptop frequently, it will last you 6 to 7 hours. So, once charged, this laptop will efficiently complete all of your tasks.
- This laptop features a larger display and weighs 3.25 pounds, making it ideal for pen-testing specialists.
- This laptop is also compatible with all other Wi-Fi networks and hotspots.
- Fast processing
- Sleek design
- Long battery life
- 8GB RAM
- No built-in feature for eye care
For specific professions and activities like pentesting, you would need a laptop that would be suitable for your needs. To look for the best laptop for pentesting, one needs to evaluate the specifications and features of the laptop minutely so that you are able to make an intelligent purchase. Ideally, laptops that have a higher RAM and a great processor should be considered; at the same time, battery life and warranty too are two practical factors to be considered before buying.