Well! You might be here as you are looking to be a brand and I hope this noob guide may help you to grow your business online. Now lets us discuss the term Business regarding the internet. Yeah!! You heard it right and below are some statistics which support my statement.
The Internet has been into our everyday life, and so every business is trying to go online somehow i.e. they are just trying to list some information on the internet so that people can be able to get some information regarding them.
Listen, Buddies; This Guide is not just to get a Knowledge Graph or to just list your business online, the main aim of my guide is to increase customers for your local business with some simple tweaks. Ok well! I don’t want to waste much of your time, and this guide is entirely for the people who want to grow their business online. Let’s start it with the table of contents.
Let’s start it with the table of contents.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Hope this should not be in your mind. Quality alone doesn’t help to boost your business quickly. Marketing, promotions, and services are critical factors. There is a good course here to learn online marketing. No one is going to visit your business office for some little information such as “what services do you offer?”, “about working hours?” Right?
Exactly, they just Google their query.
For example, if I am running a “web designing service” in my local area (I am a resident of Guntur, and hence I am going to use Guntur as local area here) and a college of my area is looking for some professionals who can create an excellent website for them. Shit! I am not only the one who can design websites in Guntur; many can do this task.
Here comes the play, they are not going to each and every office to know about their pricings, Feedbacks, etc. They Just Google their query which might be like “web designing service in Guntur“.
This is what I got!
These are some of the web design companies in Guntur. There are more chances of choosing any one from those search results by having a look at their reviews and all. Just continue reading, I will explain it more in further sections. Hope now you are going to list your local business online.
“Website is not a must-have thing to do your business online.”
So you had started designing a small website for your local business which provides required information for your customers. Wait a minute! Having a website for your local business helps you, but it’s not a must-have thing and not the only thing which lists your business online.
Should I create a website for my local business or not? Just go on…
Oh! Hmm, I am not a developer. Don’t worry you had some more options as well. Hope there is nothing wrong in trying the below options even after having a website.
The direct information or the direct links to the local searches apart from their website links can be termed as local search results. It can also be stated as the group of results when someone searches for local business of particular location. Here is a small representation which clearly says about local search results and standard Google results.
The visitor is going to use information or click on the information which is clearly appeared in the local search results. Very few of the visitors will scroll down to the websites and click on their respective links. I bet most of the customers will get engaged with the local search results.
Getting into local search results is more beneficial than having a website?!
Yes exactly, you will be more beneficial if you were listed in the local search results and it’s the specific aim of the tutorial as well and here is the reason. A customer might search his query from desktop or Smartphone as per their comfort.
Anyway, The Google results will be same on any device (Lol) and here are some statistics i.e. how people searched are engaged with the local results.
- 85% of the local searches are done from the Smartphone
- 81% takes action from the result.
- 40% visited in person
- 35% called the particular business by the info displayed in the local search results.
As most of the people search from Smartphone for the local info, the screen is filled with local results, and no one is going to scroll down the local search results from mobile. It’s same on the desktop as well.
Hope you got a glimpse of the local search results and now you might be ready to bring your business online. Cheers!
- Use your brand name while building lists and profiles on the listed networks.
- Use only one mail which was associated with your brand name.
- Use same contact info and address during listings.
Don’t go away as if you are running a business from ages. These can be used for any local business (new and old). Hope you will get benefited through local results after implementing the guide.
Let’s gather some requirements at first. Here I am going to share some of the traditional web channels which make you appear in the local search results and that too without having a website (No issues if you had an existed website)
One may just go with the local results which will be appeared on the screen, and the techies go with reviews and feedbacks. So lets me discuss a few things that are required.
- Google+ Business page and Google+ profile on the name of your local business
- Mark Your Business in Google Maps
- Signup and create your pages with required information at Yelp, Trip Advisor, and urban spoon, and the list goes on as per your business.
- An active LinkedIn profile for your business helps a lot.
- Create an account at freebase/wiki data and list your business there.
- Create a YouTube channel
Important: I request you to follow all the above steps, and here I am going to explain the basic step (Google+ and Google Business steps) in the procedure section as you can do the rest. The rest is all about submitting your business brand.
Google+: It’s one of the best Google service available through which you can exhibit your business online. A strong Google+ page and profile helps you in search results.
- It reaches Google searches.
- Customers can review it by logging into their Google accounts.
- It serves as light weight home page for business.
- You can post videos, photos and scope of interactions with the customers are really great here.
Google Business: It’s one of the Google products which support your business online. So you have to sign up at Google business where you are asked to mark your address with directions. This section appears as contact info in the search results.
Yelp and similar sites: They accept reviews and business owners are allowed to list working hours, contact info and all.
LinkedIn Profile: LinkedIn is a must include a social network for connecting the like-minded people in no time. Let me dig it out for you, the professionals mostly used it, and so your business is exposed to the more professionals which result in many things.
Freebase/wiki data: It’s one of the largest databases which was acquired by Google in 2010. Freebase is renamed as wiki data. Google collects the data from the trusted databases, and so I push you to create an account at wiki data and to list your business here.
YouTube: I had done this and it relay helps me in getting a knowledge graph. Don’t worry; you don’t need any number of views or something. Just create a YouTube channel with your brand name and upload 3-5 unique videos. That’s enough.
Ok! Let me say about knowledge graph. Knowledge graph is one of the Google search feature introduced in 2012 which was aimed to display the information of famous persons, brands, Business, etc. (Let’s say, It shows popular things with a knowledge graph. Not every popular thing is displayed in knowledge graph. It’s well explained below). Knowledge graph works with the concept of semantic search.
Semantic search is all about search accuracy i.e. it understands the intention of the user and meaning of the search terms to generate more accurate results. Below is a snap of knowledge graph for my brand, Backbenchideas.
Wait!!We need to know about the local results too. There are more chances of getting to the top of the local search results with knowledge graph as most of the local results are dragged from knowledge graph and other Google products (such as wiki data, Google+, etc.). So I suggest you work for both KG (Knowledge Graph) and local results as well.
- Create a Google+ Business page for your brand and with your brand name.
- Add main keywords in Bio section (Most important). Complete each and every portfolio.
- Manage it with relevant posts.
- Now it’s time to sign up for Google business using the same mail address.
**These are the main steps in getting a Knowledge graph for your business as well**
- Signup to Google Business with your Gmail. The screen will appear like the following.
- Fill each and everything accurately in the form.
- Once done filling all the details, click Continue, it will ask to mark the particular location on the map.
- Click on “Set marker Location” and set your location accurately.
- Google sends you a code to the listed address via postcard in 5-7 working days. You need to verify it.
- Now add each and everything i.e. a cover photo, Display picture, Working hours and this was the last step with Google business.
- Add info accurately as it will be displayed in knowledge graph and local search results as well.
- You are done with Google+ and Google Business.
First of all, you must sure about targeting type of audience and here are some tweaks you must be followed.
- First of all, let the customers know that you are online.
- Never copy and don’t write reviews yourself. Duplication will hurt you
- 24*7 Help
- Don’t confuse Google By stuffing your categories. Add the exact categories you are targeting.
- Increase customer satisfaction by publishing articles updating Google+ page and blog (If it exists).
- Don’t forget to provide location, directions, working hours, contact info and some working still from your place.
- Update once or twice for a week on your Google+ business pages, and it helps.
According to me, making your business online is a must thing in this digital world. OK! If you are the one who had listed your business everywhere and was facing issues with local results then just be patient because sometimes it might take 3-4 months(You might try to fool Google somewhere)to get into Google local search results. Hope you share this long noob guide with your local business owners and do let me know your issues via the comment section.
If you had been in the local results with some other different methods, let me know, and we will update the methods for our beloved visitors.