Sometimes you may receive an error message stating that there has been an issue with installing some of macOS’s updates. This has been seen more commonly on macOS versions especially, macOS Big Sur, macOS Catalina, macOS Mojave, and some other prior versions as well. There are certain things easy fixes that can you can perform easily in order to solve this error. This error is often phrased differently and comes in different sets of words.
Error statement of specific updates not installing in macOS
- Installation failed. An error occurred while installing the selected updates. The request timed out.
- An error occurred while installing the selected updates. The update package has been deleted since being downloaded from the Apple Software Update server.
- An error occurred while installing the selected updates.
- The package “%@” is missing or invalid. An error occurred while installing the selected updates.
These errors are more persistent and stubborn in the new macOS system also called macOS Ventura. There are certain ways why this can occur let us know more about this.
Reasons for the error occurred while installing the selected updates
- Overcrowding of servers can severely affect the system and the server outage system is a true possibility.
- Normal glitch with the system.
- Problems with internet connectivity or there is a lack of a steady and stable connection.
- Third-party software interfering in the update manager’s work.
- Installers can have some corruption.
- Can have inbuild disk errors.
- Lack of storage in SSD.
Fixes: Error Occurred while Installing the Selected Updates
Wait for your reboot of your Apple macOS
Apple macOS is an efficient system that if it shows an error it most probably means that there are no server outage issues. But just for more quality on the health of the server you can simply do a just light scrolling on the website and see if any Apple services are showing errors. You can check that here. If the status is not good then wait for some time. If all the servers are working fine and yet you face an issue then what you need to do in this case is perform a reboot. You can also clean up the system update folders and try again.
Try Basic Fixes
You can also try some basic fixes that will reduce interference with the computer’s process and provide a free lane for other updates to follow suit:
Start with disconnecting all external drives, electronic items, and parts from the computer.
- Reset your network settings and NVRAM.
- Try to close any VPN browser proxies, You can close down all kinds of firewalls.
- Try shutting down your MAC PC and then again restarting the MAC system.
- Now try updating apps through a software upgrade application.
Try to disable screen savers and disk sleeping you need to do it in this manner:
- Click on Apple Menu and click System Preference.
- Click Desktop & Scrensaver
- Now, click Screensaver tab. And, in the Start after drop down, click Never.
I use this way to turn it off. I am sure there will be more ways to turn off screensaver on Mac.
For disabling Hard Disk Sleeping, you can go to System Preference >> Energy Saver, and Untick “Put hard disks to sleep when possible”
Issues with Internet connectivity
The network connection gets lost while updating the mac can be due to many reasons let us cite them one by one.
- Try searching keywords on Google and see if the search queries are displaying results or not.
- Change connections and see if the internet connection activates with another connection
- If you use WiFi, try using an ethernet cable and make the processing of data much easier and cheaper.
- You can try changing the DNS address to Google Public DNS or OpenDNS which is 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
Download Updates from Apple Store
The best option is to download the updates from Apple Store if you have an error when the network connection gets lost while updating macOS. Follow these steps to download macOS via the Apple Store:
- Type in first ‘macOS Ventura’ on the search bar.
- And now tap on ‘get’.
- Wait for it to land you in the software update pane.
- The macOS Ventura will get downloaded.
- From downloads, you can access the Install ‘macOS ventura’.
- You can click on install. And wait for the program to completely download and assimilate on your PC.
Try Updating in Safe Mode
For Intel Mac users you can access the safe mode by the following steps:
- You can turn off your Mac PC by shutting it down.
- Now hold the shift key and release the key only during the login window appears and that is safe mode.
- From software update then upgrade for updates and applications.
Apple Silicon Users can access via safe mode as this:
- Shut down everyone, and turn your pc OFF.
- Press and hold and this lead to the ‘Loading startup options.’
- Now choose ‘startup disk’.
- Choose Safe Mode.
Check whether storage requirements are being met or not
Another thing that you need to remember is the storage requirements. You need a good storage option in order to avail the installation of system files for macOS. Just make sure SSD or HDD has at least 12.4GB for installation. With Catalyna macOS the time required to download and install is 33.33 GB and 44 GB for the versions later. Make sure you have these storages.
Go for Disk Utility
Disk Utility is a built-in utility in macOS that allows users to manage and troubleshoot their storage devices. It provides various features to format, partition, repair, and erase disks. This can also solve program-related errors as well. To access Disk Utility, follow these steps:
- Click on the “Finder” icon in the Dock (the smiley face).
- In the top menu bar, click on “Go” and then select “Utilities” from the dropdown menu.
- In the Utilities folder, locate and double-click on the “Disk Utility” application.
- Alternatively, you can use the Spotlight search feature to quickly access Disk Utility. Press Command + Space to open Spotlight, then type “Disk Utility” and hit Enter when it appears in the search results.
- You can access via Recovery as well, command+space for Intel Mac during starting of the system, and Apple Silica Mac users need to hold their power mode until recovery mode appears.
Run Repairs on the Disk
Run a disk repair:
- First, just select the view panel and then click on show all devices.
- Once you have opened Disk Utility, you’ll see a list of available storage devices on the left-hand side.
- Select the disk or volume you want to work with, and then you can perform various operations:
- Select a disk and click on the “First Aid” button to check for any disk errors and repair them if necessary. You need to click on ‘Run’ to execute tasks.
Try Partitioning and Erasing the Data on HDD
- Partition: If you want to divide a disk into multiple partitions or reorganize existing partitions, select the disk and click on the “Partition” button. Be cautious when partitioning, as it can lead to data loss.
- Erase: To format a disk or a volume, select it and click on the “Erase” button. This operation will permanently delete all data on the selected disk or volume, so make sure to back up important data beforehand.
Disk Utility also provides additional features like Mount/Unmount, Info, Restore, and RAID settings. However, it’s important to note that while Disk Utility can help identify and resolve some hardware-related issues, it may not be able to fix all hardware errors. In some cases, you might need to consult a professional or contact the manufacturer for further assistance. You can always contact Apple Support here.
Computer not getting updated whether Desktop or laptop often results in less efficiency and less effortless navigation of contents in your PC. If this is happening you can simply follow the remedies I have mentioned and in no time your macOS will work as before.