Web development professionals now have other options than setting up a website for clients when it comes to variety of projects. This is owing to the fact that in last few years web app development has emerged as a viable career option for them. Moreover, the growing popularity of tablets and smart phones that are used for web usage has given them lots of choices. As a matter of fact, several million people access the web using their cell phones. This trend is going to continue since smart phones have become as capable and versatile as standalone computers. Developing apps for specific type of smart phone OS is what many developers are opting for. For a professional with background in web design and development, this can be an area to specialize in.
When it comes to selecting a platform for developing OS based apps, there are few leading players. High end Smart phone owners usually own handsets running Android or Apple iOS. There are other platforms like Symbian and BlackBerry, but a developers targeting a leading smart phone OS for app development should choose any of these two.
For a website development company making smart phone apps both iOS and Android has their Pros and cons.
1. Android, developed by Google, is an open source OS which is derived from Java. Hence, web developers with background in Java should preferably opt for Android app development. On the contrary, Apple’s iOS is based on Objective-C language. It is more suited for developers with proficiency in languages like C and C++.
2. Android offers an open development platform to developers and they also get freedom to use tools from third party companies for app development. This makes their work more flexible and enables them to add more functionality. However, Apple adopts a different policy for developer guidelines. iOS developers are restricted from using any third party tools and they have to work within the framework suggested by Apple. This can curb creative skills of developers to an extent.
3. Android OS is more compatible for developing dynamic apps that can be used for a number of purposes. However, for an amateur app developer, Android can be difficult to master and he may require some time in doing so. Besides, platform fragmentation issue of Android can prove to be a trouble for newbie developers. Apple offers an exclusive and more stable platform for developers. Apple OS developers get less flexibility but everything is clearly defined for their work.
4. When it comes to mobile app testing, Android provides an outstanding testing environment for developers. Its IDE provides source code that developers can utilize. This makes testing and debugging apps easier for developers before they can release it in the Android marketplace. Apple’s Xcode cannot really match Android in this department.
5. App approval can be lengthy for an Apple iOS app developer. Getting approved by Apple App Store usually requires 3-4 weeks. Android Marketplace does not have such lengthy approval period which makes things easier for Android app developers.