If you’re planning on using internet marketing to promote your business it’s important to build the right plan. There are dozens and dozens of strategies, but only a few of them are going to really help build your business. But how do you know which are right for yours?
Implement Strategies that Apply to All Businesses
First, make sure that the foundation of your internet marketing recipe rests on generating content that is actually useful to anyone who finds it. This will set you up for just about any other methods you want to implement.
Don’t make the mistake of creating content that is only optimized to gain a position in the search engines. That will result in positions that are short-lived, and if the next wave of Google algorithm updates are smart enough to realize your content is pure junk, all of your links are going to be devalued.
Creating content that is useful for readers also helps to ensure you build natural links to your site. You have to make sure that bloggers know that they can republish your content on their blog, though, for them to do this. Make it clear by providing a quick blurb that tells them exactly how you want your content shared and it will all come together like magic.
Whatever niche you’re in, there are certain strategies that will work better than others. Consider the options below if they match up with your niche.
Local Service Businesses
- Register on every directory possible, including Yelp, Google Local, Merchant Circle, etc.
- Find and list your business with the yellow pages online directory
- Register with industry-specific directories
- Advertise your business with online magazines or blogs that provide a specific focus on your community
- Create Squidoo Lenses or HubPages that review other businesses in your area that compete with you – provide a fair and honest review of each, but provide a favorable impression of your own.
Blogs, News Sites, and Other Content Directories
- Check out sites like Reddit and Digg (yes, it’s still relevant) and focus on creating content that appeals to their audiences. Participate in these communities regularly to avoid looking “spammy.”
- Participate on forums and other blogs in a way that is actually helpful. Don’t worry about pushing your site too hard, you’ll get plenty of attention if you participate regularly.
- Interview owners of similar sites – it doesn’t matter if they’re direct competitors or not. Readers are more than happy to have multiple sources on the same topic.
- Write solid guest posts and offer them to other bloggers. They’re busy, too, and would love to be able to have a day where they can publish something without having to actually write it.
Online Stores, Affiliate Sites, Etc.
- Use Google Trends to find search phrases that are “up and coming” and generate content optimized for them to gain traffic in the near future.
- Create YouTube video reviews of the products you sell – even if you don’t have them in your possession. Just use images of the product.
- Consider using pay per click ads targeted towards low competition keywords. You can build a huge marketing effort without spending a lot of money if you do it just right.
Mix and Match these Strategies for Success
Here’s the thing – no one tip or technique is isolated to just one type of online business. You can use all of the techniques listed above for your internet marketing efforts. For simplicities sake they have been organized based on which type of business can utilize them most effectively.
Internet marketing success is a lot more like experimenting with recipes in the kitchen than you might think. You can’t expect to get everything right the first time, but if you keep at it and tweak your recipes, you’ll end up with something absolutely fantastic. And once you do, you’ll know exactly how to recreate that recipe in the future.
You don’t have to experiment with your main site, either. You can easily and affordably create a new domain that targets the specific keywords you’re looking to rank for. If you do find success with these experiments, you can always funnel the traffic to your primary domain.
Think out of the box and combine them in new and unique ways to experience some serious internet marketing alchemy. Trial and error is the best way to learn and profit with internet marketing.
About the Author:
Kevin Gao is the founder and CEO of Comm100 Live Chat, a leading provider of live chat software for business. As a software developer as well as a small business expert, he’s always ambitious to revolutionize the way of online customer service and communication.